Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Week Ten - Hibiscus and Meyer Lemon Sorbet

Okay, I know. I'm the worst! I didn't get around to making last week's flavor until today but I promise I have a slightly decent excuse! Along with work on the weekdays and a pseudo-job interview, I spent Friday and Saturday eating at super amazing restaurants: Friday, with my husband at Dirty Candy, and Saturday, with my best friend at Per Se. Needless to say, I spent most of my weekend in a very tasty food coma, completely neglecting this little blog of mine.

But enough with the excuses! Let's get on with the deliciousness. Waiting until today to make this flavor actually worked out quite well, what with this lovely weather we're enjoying. When the warmer weather sets in (even if only for a week...) I find few things as refreshing as a cold glass of iced tea. The idea of sitting outside with a good book (today, it was The Hunger Games) and a glass of iced tea (today, it was hibiscus tea...because I happened to have an abundance) and enjoying life just makes me smile. So I took that idea, added some refreshing zing with the Meyer lemon, and created, what I believe to be, quite the delightful dessert. Upon finishing the batch, I actually immediately made a second batch so I could take some to a friend's house this weekend. Hopefully, they share in my delight!

And hopefully, you do, too! Here you have it:


Hibiscus and Meyer Lemon Sorbet

Ingredients:

2 cups water
1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice



1. Add the water and hibiscus flowers to a pot and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and let the tea steep for fifteen minutes.

2. Strain the flowers out of the tea and return it to the stove. Add the sugar and heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.

3. Pour the mixture into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it down directly on top of the mixture. Refrigerate until cool

4. Once completely cooled, add the lemon juice and stir to combine.

5. Pour cooled mixture into bowl of ice cream maker and churn. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze.

6. Enjoy on a warm evening on a porch swing with someone you love! (Or on a cold afternoon, huddled on the couch while watching Judge Mathis. Which is how I plan to eat the leftovers when this weather leaves us next week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment