Monday, April 2, 2012

Week Twelve - Green Tea

Time to play catch-up...

Boy, has life been crazy these past few weeks! Last weekend was my lovely sister-in-law's baby shower (First niece or nephew! Yay!!) so the week prior to that was filled with lots of fun planning and preparations. Then this past week, I worked like a crazy person. Yes, a crazy person. The kind of crazy person who doesn't make ice cream. But I've risen from the madness with last last week's flavor and will post this past week's flavor within a day or two. Now let's get down to it!

As I mentioned, last weekend was all about little Baby H and his or her beautiful Mommy-to-be. Myself and the rest of the killer party planning brigade had spent a couple months trying to create a shower that my sister-in-law would love; one that would suit her perfectly. We ended up going with a tea party theme, complete with doilies, tea sandwiches, and fabulous mismatched china. Ladies were asked to wear a "tea hat" to the luncheon and prizes were awarded for the prettiest hat, the most creative, etc. All in all, everyone seemed to have a great time - success!

A cup of tea to keep me company

And so, when choosing my flavor for last last week, I wanted to go with something tea-like. I thought about a black tea ice cream (mostly because I had a delicious one at Per Se a few weeks ago) but I figured that was too similar to the Chai flavor from Week Three. Green tea was the next logical option and I know a certain coworker of mine has been hinting at me making this flavor for weeks. (There's a container with your name on it in my freezer!) So put on your fancy hats and join me...


Green Tea Ice Cream

Ingredients:

2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup loose green tea leaves
1 cup sugar
6 egg yolks


1. Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat over medium high until bubbles start to form around the edge. Add the tea leaves and steep for thirty minutes.

2. Once tea is fully steeped, pour through a fine mesh sieve, pushing the tea down to release as much liquid as possible. Return the milk to the saucepan.

3. Add the heavy cream to the saucepan and heat over medium high until bubbles start to form around the edge.

4. Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.


5. Add a small amount of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Once combined, slowly pour egg mixture into the milk mixture, whisking constantly to avoid curdling. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon.

6. Pour through a fine sieve into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it down directly on top of the mixture. Refrigerate until completely cooled.

7. Transfer cooled mixture into bowl of ice cream maker and churn. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment