Saturday, August 4, 2012

Week Twenty-Two: Biscoff Cookie

This flavor is kind of a cop out. But it's also super delicious, so I don't feel bad. And, as it turns out, it's born to fill an ice cream sandwich...I haven't figured out what the perfect sandwiching cookie would be (Yes, I thought of Biscoff cookies. And no, I don't think it's the right cookie to sandwich said ice cream between.) but I'm going to find out. I'm thinking some sort of chewy gingersnappy sugar cookie hybrid. Anyway, to the point...

I suppose the inspiration came years ago, aboard a Delta Airlines flight. I was given some tasty biscuit-like cookies to snack on during my travels and the flavor stayed with me. Not literally, that would be weird. And unsanitary. But figuratively, I couldn't forget this brilliant little cookie. It was crispy, shortbready, caramely, cinnamony, slightly-gingery perfection. Years went by and one day I stumbled upon these cookies in the grocery store - who knew civilians could purchase them for home consumption?! Well, I knew now...and consume I did. At my home and in other people's homes. They became my go-to accompaniment for things like pumpkin dip and chocolate pot de crème...or whipped cream, in true fat-snacker style.


So a thumbs up to this one. Anyone interested in trying to make it, you can look on the Biscoff website to find out where the spread is sold. And I also recently found out from a friend (Hey, M!) that Trader Joe's makes it's own version, cleverly called Cookie Butter. If you're not up to making the ice cream, at least do yourself the favor of buying the spread and eating it in it's intended form...it's amazing!

Biscoff Cookie Ice Cream


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup Biscoff Spread



1. Pour the milk and heavy cream into a saucepan and heat over medium high until bubbles start to form around the edge.

2. In a bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar and whisk to combine.

3. Add a small amount of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Once combined, slowly pour egg mixture into the milk mixture, whisking constantly to avoid curdling. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon.

4. Pour the hot milk mixture over the Biscoff Spread and whisk until combined. Pour through a sieve into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it down directly on top of the mixture. Refrigerate until completely cooled.

5. Transfer cooled mixture into bowl of ice cream maker and churn. Pour into a freezer-safe container.

6. Spread between some cookies (tell me which one's you try!) or just grab a spoon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment